Friday, September 3, 2010

3.2-3.3, Due on September 3

  1. The hardest part of this section for me was the very first part about the extended Euclidean Algorithm. I remember doing it for smaller numbers with a few 'backward' steps, but I did not follow the longer examples. I was confused with the book's notation about what x (naught) and y (naught) were.  The examples today were helpful and I think I can do it with the second method proposed by the book on the bottom of page 69. Another hard part was the situation when x is raised to a higher power then 1 (pg. 75). I can solve those problems with guessing, but I don't think that's the best approach. 
  2. The most interesting part of the reading for me was the addition and multiplication tables in modular arithmetic. I am a highly visual learner and I love tables that compile so much information into a readable format. I like noticing patterns in the tables and using them to better understand exactly what is going on. In Combinatorics I used tables often to remember recursive relationships. 
Sorry this entry was late; I misread the reading assignments. I will not resubmit the assignment due on September 10, but if you want to read it again it's still up on my blog. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment